Applications are invited for Postdoctoral Fellow (Earth Sciences) at IIT Gandhinagar. The last date of application is 15 October 2022.
A one-year Postdoctoral Fellow position with Dr Utsav Mannu, Discipline of Earth Sciences, is available. The candidate is expected to conduct a geophysical/geodynamic study of seismicity in subduction zones.
The post-doctoral fellow will be required to design and conduct numerical geodynamic/ statistical modelling / Seismological investigation of earthquake occurrence in subduction zones. The candidate would try to find a Spatio-temporal correlation in seismicity with geological processes active in subduction zones.
Additionally, The candidate will have ample opportunity to learn and implement numerical geodynamic modelling that can be used to produce earthquake cycles.
One of the primary objectives would be to bolster the current pool of numerical models by recognising new preconditioners for earthquake cycles or testing various formulations and parametrisation of friction laws that can assist in time-varying probabilistic seismic hazard assessment. The candidate is expected to be able to work independently and mentor PhD students.
PhD in Earth Sciences, or Mathematics Physics, or extensive experience in statistics or finite-difference/ finite element modelling or seismic hazard analysis is desired. Candidates who have submitted their thesis in the mentioned fields are equally eligible.
12 months (with the possibility of extension)
Salary will be ₹ 50,000 + ₹10000 (HRA).
The candidate should email the following documents in a single pdf file (with the subject“PD_2022_[Name of the applicant]”) :
- Application for the position (Cover Letter). Please apply by email only, and use the pdf format, and the file should contain a scanned signature.
- CV including the list of publications.
- A short research statement (not more than two pages).
- 1 letter of recommendation. Letter of Reference should be sent to email@example.com
- A PhD. Degree (a formal confirmation of a PhD degree or expected graduation date in case the candidate is still waiting for the degree).
Applications received by 15th October 2022 would be expedited.